Tuesday 23 April 2013

Superhero Banquet

Last week I was a counsellor at a camp for 10-16 year olds. I had an amazing cabin of 15 year old girls (they were just fantastic!) but I am so exhausted now. Well worth it though. These guys have so much to give, and they are such great kids.

We have a banquet every year and this year the theme was Superheroes. Pretty fun. :D

I helped out preparing the decorations, etc. It was great to pull out the paints and be creative. I haven't done that in a little while.

Here are some pics of what we created.


I pulled up a photo of Superman on my phone and free hand drew a version on cardboard for a Photo Booth area. 

The cardboard was just a packing box opened out. (I have a lot of those since we just moved!)


Now with colour.


These are the action signs we made for the walls. We were painting on the grass, but it suddenly started raining so we had to dash for cover on the verandah.



The (almost) finished Superman and action signs. Ka-boom! Pow! Bang! Zap!


Superman with head! 

I added the hands separately by cutting them out of more cardboard and sticking them on. They were probably a little small in the end and his legs are a little skinny, but oh well. I was pretty proud of the overall cut out, given I don't profess to be an artist and it was free hand. 


I also painted this city scape as a scene setter. I left it sketchy to save time, but also to keep it feeling like a comic. 


Getting into my costume. 

I wasn't a specific superhero, but I had worn this to my sister's rainbow 16th (photos to come) in February and everyone kept saying I looked like Wonder Woman. Not exactly, obviously, but kind of the same colours. So I figured I was superhero-y enough. Especially the red hair. :D 

The lace mask is from Diva. So pretty. :)


The finished room. We had 'fans' and 'balls' hanging from the roof with streamers. I can't explain them better than that, but you can see the rough idea.


We put the city scape on the side wall which we covered with plastic - mostly so the kids couldn't get a sneak preview while we were setting up. 


The photo booth was in the back corner near the door. The skyscraper is just boxes taped together covered in paper, then windows drawn on. Not my greatest master piece but it took me about 15 minutes to draw. 

The kids had a bit of fun taking photos there. We also got some group shots in front of the city at the end of the night. 


I did like the fairy lights around the city. It was pretty. :)


Entree was pizza, which the chef made to be like spider webs. Think of the capsicum and olives as the web. Not totally clear, but it was nice of him to try. ;)


Mains was spaghetti bolognese. I was so tired by this point!!


Then butterfly cakes for dessert with action bubbles. I had a 'Pow!' one; it was pretty. 


It even matched my nails!! :D 

It was a real team effort. There were games (including wrestling to show your strength) and activities and prizes and the kids had a great time. 

That's why we do it, hey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment